& I dress you funny. The odd plant that came from Montgomery a while back. Not all that special but damn it is ugly. Every time I look at it I think “there must be a tree in there some where” but then I step back and it is all like, “wonder if it would survive this or make it through that”? Guess this is another hold on til it is screaming new growth before I touch it. Well for good or bad here is my red headed step child.
Then there is my old friend. This procumbens nana has tried to die on me more times than I can count. But it is time to do just a little bit of work on it.
Case file under the odd and fascinating;
Podocarpus in fruit have been mentioned here several times and I have shared several shots of the plant throughout this season. But now is the time and the moment of truth literally. I have no other Podocarpus on the property. I bought this plant in full fruit knowing that it was a dice toss. It is either this crop or none again. No male no fruit next year. Still won’t be but I think I have the shortage solved. The fruit have ripened and most of them have dropped. They are not your common germination. This pedicule looking thing begins to form at the base of the “berry” and extends out looking for something to strike roots in.
This can occur with dropped berries or even some of these on the plant still. Plant seems to be in possession of several multi colored single testicled space phallus.
I swear if it starts speaking I will burn it. Just thought you might be interested in how “odd” some plants can be. The berries you see above fall and strike roots right on the brownish tip ends. Then the plant kind of backs out of the fruit. All very odd. But I still filled a tray with some very coarse organic/coarse silica soil mix just to get their feet under them. Should have no shortage of Podocarpus if even half what I lifted from the hollows in that shipping pallet survive. I admit it I have done my best to watch the water on this all Summer. I am also glad that it has yielded such a plethora of viable seed. Seed? Given that they do sprout on the tree and are really just a trunk waiting to happen, would this be a seed? a seedling? Get back with you on that. I am sure there is a term for this.
Got this tree around the 12th and this is what I had to start with.
And the best tree in the pot doesn’t even have roots on it. You see how the upper part of the trunk goes down then there is a step down in diameter? Now what could cause that? An idiot. Someone left a tag on this plant in the past and it girdled the trunk causing that swelling. Good part? it already has root fibers in the callous tissue and will be very easy to air layer off. Which I intend to do.
Quick shot of the ankles. Not much to work it.
And a little shot of the upper. Don’t know why I should bother. Most of it will be skinned and made into jin as soon as it has a chance to grow me some spurs for character.
This is going to be quick. A Hinoki I bought last week and was going to put in a contest over on BonsaiNut.com. I decided to sponsor a prize instead so I won’t be entering. But this is what it looked like after I had a couple of days with it.
After dragging it thru Photoshop to “cut” all the crap out of it. What my plan is for it in both notes and a really really quick mock up.
Hope it will look something like this when I am finished but that will be a couple of years down the road.Thanks for taking the time to look at this and for being patient with me. Took me a couple of days to finish the mock up.
Well just a quickie drop of a few photos more to come. Think it has recovered its health. Maybe enough to actually get something accomplished in the next few years.
and other 12 pack fantasies. I have this Trident maple, Acer buergerianum, that is a year old and has been finally acting as though it may make it in spite of the heat we have been dealing with. Here is what I had to start with.
But I was in a twisted mood myself and decided that I was gonna give this little man a dance for the half line. The tools I am going to use to put this in bondage.
This is as we started. Use a chop stick or bamboo skewer as a spacer as you lace this up. Secure the cord to the wire and work up.
Keeping the skewer between the tree and the wire as you lace it up also allows you to move it up and avoid all the little buds sticking out all over the trunk.
Nothing but a run of half hitches all the was up the trunk. Let the tree rest a bit and allow the cotton to shrink and we should be good to go. I finally ended up with this as the plan.
Only laid over on its side. I wanted a bunch of movement in the trunk because I have always wanted a “strong” semi-cascade. Maybe something like this.Well bout all I have for now. Later.
I’ll comb it out when I get home. Had a question posed of “. . . WTH are you doing?” This is how I have been putting a few of these in curlers. Initially, take a fairly single runner plant. Thin out the foliage along the runner. This always exposes little shoots that have been developing, but being held back by, behind the first leaves on this growth.
These little “stakes” are only 1/4″ in profile diameter. They literally screw into the mix along side the plant’s base. Carefully place your plant along a chosen channel; it is easy to jump groove so watch what you are doing. As you come to each shoot along the vine turn it outwards by twisting the vine and continuing up the groove.
In a week or so I will take a heavier wire; I use 14 guage, and wire the nylon helix as though it were the plant. Then I will put some twists and bends in it. Allow to grow for a month or so then . . . . Well see my prior post.